This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from our chosen links.
A scroll saw is a must-have tool for people who like to make artistic work with wood, plastics, etc. Every scroll saw is different and likewise, every person will have different needs from the tool.
To help with making a choice whether you are a person who likes to experiment with DIY or whether you are a professional, this comparison of Dewalt vs. Delta vs. Shop Fox vs. WEN vs. Porter Cable will help with a person’s dilemma.
So here are the five scroll saws handpicked based on their price range, popularity, and features.
1. Dewalt DW788 20-Inch Variable-Speed Scroll Saw
- Double parallel link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise for extremely accurate cuts
- Exclusive tool free blade clamps allow blade changes in seconds. Depth of Cut (inches): 2 inch
- On off switch, electronic variable speed, flexible dust blower, and blade tensioning lever all located on front upper arm
- Arm design pivots from back of the saw to front, shortening the arm movement for smoother, quieter operation
- Arm lifts so blade can be easily threaded through the material for inside cuts
The Dewalt DW788 is a convenient saw which provides accuracy and operates smoothly. This model is used by professionals and it is deemed safe and easy to use for beginners as well. This model is equipped with 1.3 Amp which is enough to scroll any type of material.
It is also provided with a 20” throat depth which makes it possible to cut any materials from plywood to carpets. It is also provided with 2-inch depth cut which makes the Dewalt DW 788 possible to cut through materials with thicknesses that are not above 1-3/4”.
The table is made of cast iron and it measures 16” x 12-3/4” which is large enough and absorbs any vibrations from reaching the blade. The blade is thin and streamlined that provides a forward and backward action which results in efficient cuts of the materials.
- The tool is easy to set-up and the mechanism is not difficult to follow.
- The blades can be changed in a matter of seconds with ease.
- The dual parallel-link arm is an efficient feature that allows for more stability at the event of working with the tool.
- The 1.3 Amp motor makes this a powerful machine to cut through any material.
- It is not budget-friendly as similar models with lower price range are available.
2. Delta Power Tools 40-694 20-Inch Variable-Speed Scroll Saw
- Electronic variable speed can be adjusted from 400-1,750 SPM for a wide array of cutting applications
- Dual parallel link arm design reduces vibration reducing over and under cutting improving accuracy and quality
- Upper arm lifts and locks in the raised position during blade changes or while adjusting blade position for fret work
- Tool-free blade clamp allows for quick, easy blade changes in seconds. Bevels 0° - 45° left and right. Motor: 1.3 Amp
- On/Off switch, electronic variable speed dial, flexible dust blower and blade-tensioning lever are all conveniently located up front on the arm for easy accessibility
The Delta Power Tools 40-694 is a powerhouse saw that comes with a 20” throat depth which is more than generous as compared to other scroll saws. The depth of cut is around 2-1/8”, this makes it extremely easy to cut through an average plank of wood.
This model is also extremely accurate and will be a great tool for people who are just starting out as the blade is thin which allows precision.
The speed of the stroke speed is 400-1750 which makes it a versatile tool to work at any speeds. The table can also be tilted and held at any angles which will be an added advantage for people who like to add some panache to their work!
- This scroll saw is extremely easy to use and requires no additional assistance for operating on it. For example, no tools are required for changing the blades which makes it easy for beginners to maneuver the tool.
- A storage box is provided to store the blades and tools that a person requires.
- The table is made up cast-iron and any heavy-duty work can be performed on it.
- The blade tensioning is quite difficult to set up.
3. Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- 1/8HP, 1.2-Amps, 110-Volt, 60Hz motor
- 16-Inch maximum cutting width
- Includes a gooseneck work light, dust blower and dust port
- Plain or pin blades
- No load speed: 550-1700 SPM
The Shop Fox W1713 is an affordable piece of a machine which is popular among the beginners who are starting out. The depth of cut is 2” which is okay for performing on materials that are not thicker than 1”. The throat depth measures 16” which makes it possible to cut materials that are small to medium in size.
The speed of the Shop Fox W1713 operates between 550 SPM to 1700 SPM which is comfortable enough to work with commercially available materials.
The table can also be turned at an angle of 0 degrees to 45 degrees, which is suitable for people who are working on intricate designs.
- For a low-budget device, this model is highly accurate and would be highly advantageous to people who are working on patterns and designs.
- The Shop Fox W1713 is also a durable machine and can undergo strenuous scrolling.
- The base is made up of cast iron and it absorbs most vibrations while working, thus making it a stable piece of machinery.
- It is only equipped with a 1.2 Amp motor which is not powerful; enough to perform a lot of heavy-duty work.
4. Wen 3920 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- Unique design accepts blades in two directions (standard and 90 degrees) to allow for infinite ripping capacity
- Variable speed goes from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute ; Motor : 120Volts, 60 Hz, 1.2Amps
- Spacious 16-by-11-inch table bevels up to 45 degrees to the left for angled cuts
- Cuts wood up to 2 inches thick with a 16-inch throat depth in the standard position
- Features a cast iron base, air pump, flex light, dust port, foot lock clamp, onboard storage, and three blades
The Wen 3920 is a saw that is worth every penny of your money. It is easy to use and is perfectly safe for beginners. It can be smoothly operated without any difficulties and it has been a popular piece of tool for a long time.
The depth of cut of the Wen 3920 is 2” which means that it would be able to cut through materials that are 2” in thickness. The throat depth is 16” which is quite generous and is great at assisting people who perform a lot of DIY projects.
It runs on a motor 1.2 Amp which is suitable for working on moderate jobs.
- It’s built is solid which provides a long-lasting life and it provides stability while working on materials.
- If you are a person that likes to carry your work around, this device weighs only 28 lbs and is perfect for carrying it around.
- It is easy to use even for first-time users. The blade tensioning is also extremely to operate.
- It is no secret that the power of the motor is quite low and is not enough to work on heavy-duty jobs.
5. Porter Cable PCB375SS 18-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Stand
- Large aluminum 20" x 12 5/8" dual tilting table allows for bevel cutting up to 45 degrees
- Patented table top bevel scale for accurate and convenient readings
- Tool-less blade holder makes quick and easy 5" pin or plain end blade changes
- Built-in adjustable LED work lamp for better illumination of work area
- Variable speeds between 500 and 1500 SFM with upfront control knob
The Porter-Cable PCB375SS is a highly accurate device which comes with a top bevel scale. The blade holder is tool-less which allows quick and easy blade changes. As it is easy to set-up and use, besides professionals, this tool is also a favorite among first-timers as well.
The table is made of aluminum and can be tilted to an angle of 45 degrees which helps in getting any intricate work done.
The speed ranges from 500 SPM to 1500 SPM which can be controlled by a knob.
- The tilting table feature makes it extremely easy for people who like to work with intricate designs and patterns in their work which involves working at odd angles.
- The built-in LED lamp helps a person to work at low-lighting.
- It is well-built and is sturdy enough for any heavy-duty work.
- There is no metal insert for this scroll saw.
In the comparison of Dewalt vs. Delta vs. Shop Fox vs. WEN vs. Porter Cable, which is the best scroll saw? Our pick is the Dewalt DW788 as it is a tool which offers convenience and power as well as stability. Despite the price concern, it makes sure that its performance delivers to the full and is sure to leave every customer satisfied.