A sliding compound miter saw is a specialized tool that allows you to make cuts at a variety of angles. It has a blade mounted on a swing arm that pivots left and right in order to produce angled cuts.
The major advantage of a sliding compound miter saw is that it lets you move the blade forward and backward. This results in providing an increased length of cuts as compared to a compound or dual compound miter saws, making the sliding compound very useful in cutting thick material of up to 16 inches of width, like lumber, boards and even logs.
Choosing among different sliding compound miter saws for one that satisfies all your requirements is a major task. Following is a detailed sliding compound miter saw comparison: Dewalt vs. Hitachi vs. Makita vs. Festool vs. Craftsman.
1. Dewalt DWS779 Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Your purchase includes One CDEWALT DWS779 Sliding Compound Cord Miter Saw, 12-Inch, Carbide Blade, One Blade Wrench
- Tool dimensions: 17” H x 24.75” L. Tool Weight: 56 lbs. Maximum Cutting Thickness: 6.75 inch
- Other specifications: 15 Amps, 12” Blade diameter, 5/8” or 1” Arbor size. 3800 RPM motor. Type of milter saw: Slide
- Exclusive back fence design cuts up to 2x16 dimensional lumber at 90 degree and 2x12 at 45 degree. Miler saw does not come with LED (can be added) nor laser guide
- Super-efficient dust collection system captures over 75 percent of dust generated
The Dewalt DWS779 features a powerful 15-amp motor delivering 3,800 rpm.
- Its 12-inch saw blade miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left.
- It has an exclusive back-fence design that allows you to make angled cuts in up to 2 x 16-dimensional lumber at 90 degrees and in 2 x 12 dimensions at 45 degrees.
- It weighs 67 lbs.
Its dual horizontal steel rails, clamps, and linear ball bearings make it quite compact and durable. Furthermore, it includes carbide blade, blade wrench, and a user guide. It comes with a 3-year warranty, which is a big promise.
It is rated 4.7 out of 5. Generally, customers are satisfied with the price and the easy adjustment of the slider it provides due to its integrated blade positioning system. However, it lacks the laser feature. Also, the customers have expressed concerns over the clamp, which just flops around when not in use.
2. Hitachi C12RSH2 Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT; Same great tools, with only a new name
- Compact slide system allows the saw head to slide along fixed rails, for zero clearance. Laser Marker System from Hitachi increases cutting accuracy
- Max Cutting Capacities (HxW) 90 Degree Cross Cut 4 to 3/16x12 ,1/4 inch or 4 11/16x10 3/16 inch. 45 Degree Miter (L/R) 4 3/16x8 5/8 inch or 4 11/16x7 1/16 inch. 45 Degree Bevel (L) 2 3/4x12 1/4 inch or 2 15/16x10 3/16 inch. Compound Cut 45x45 (L/L) 2 3/4x8 5/8 inch or 2 15/16x7 1/16 inch
- Powerful 15 Amp motor to tackle tough cutting jobs with ease
- Large sliding fence raises fence height to 5 1/8 inches to cut up to 7 1/2 inch crown molding vertically
The Hitachi C12RSH2 comes with a 12-inch saw blade and weighs 59 lbs. The powerful 15-amp motor helps cutting thick material with ease.
- It features a taller sliding fence of up to 5-1/8” that allows cutting much larger material, even vertically up to 7-1/2”. Also, it does not come in the way while making bevel cuts.
- It pivots 0-57 degrees of miter angle to the right and 0-45 degrees to the left.
- The bevel angle ranges from 0-45 degrees to the right and left.
- It includes an amazing feature of a laser marker that guarantees precise-angled cuts. This feature makes it quite unique.
It is a sliding dual compound miter saw that has a compact slide system due to which zero rear clearance is required. It helps reduce the space it takes for working by at least a foot, as compared to other sliding compound miter saws.
Customers have rated it 4.2 out of 5. Some are unhappy with the inferior smoothness the blade provides. Despite having the dual bevel and laser feature, there are better options present in the market.
3. Makita LS1018 Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw
- Powerful 13.0 AMP direct drive motor requires less maintenance and delivers 4,300 RPM
- Miters 0 degree to 47 degree left and 0 degree to 60 degree right, with positive stops at 0 degree, 15 degree, 22.5 degree, 31.6 degree, 45 degree (left and right)
- Cuts up to 12 inches at 90 degree and 8 to 1/2 degree at 45 degree, Arbor 5/8 inch, linear ball bearing system for accurate cuts
- Rear handle bevel lock is easily accessible and adjusts 0 degree to 45 degree (left and right) with positive stops at 0 degree, 45 degree (left and right)
- Includes Blade, vise, triangular rule, dust bag, extension wings and wrench. Max. Cutting Capacity (miter 90 degree) : 3 to 5/8 x 12(inches)
This 10-inch dual slide compound miter saw is designed to deliver large cutting capacity with accuracy.
- It miters 0-60 degrees to the right and 0-47 degrees to the left, with positive stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6 and 45 degrees, both left and right.
- It has the ability to cut up to 12” at 0 degrees and up to 8-1/2” at 45 degrees.
- It comes with an electric brake system to ensure maximum productivity and safety.
It has the capacity to cut 4×4 dimensional lumber in one pass. The powerful 13-amp motor delivers 3,800 rpm. It has a compact body and weighs only 43.7 lbs. It further includes a dust bag, triangular rule and extension wings for extra convenience.
Despite all these features, it is rated 3.8 out of 5. Customers have complained about the dust bag which is of no use while working outdoors. The replacement parts for this model are no longer produced by Makita, which means the tool becomes useless once any part fails to work.
Also, customers have wished for the laser system, as present in Hitachi, that could deliver precision and accuracy for angle and bevel cuts.
4. Festool 561287 Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Rail forward design increases precision and creates a compact footprint while preventing head play for accurate cuts
- Easily align cuts from the left or right side using the dual laser, lasers clearly define material to be cut
- Micro-adjustable bevel angle with up-front rotary knob, large bevel scale and fine pointers easily set precise angles
- Dust extraction up to 91% with behind-the-cut dust hood and pivoting 36 mm hose. Mitre angle: 50/60 °. Crown moulding diagonal cut 45°/90°-6-5/8 inch. Special cutting depth 45°/90° (right)-3/4 inch x 4-3/4 inch. Crown moulding diagonal cut at 90°/90°-6-5/8 inch. Saw blade diameter-10-1/4 inch
- Includes angle transfer device which automatically bisects transferred angles to the saw and aligns
It features a high-quality 60-tooth carbide blade that delivers accurate cutting of wood and plastic.
- It has a fine adjustment knob which sets the bevel angles in fractions of degrees according to the requirement.
- The bevel knob can set the positive detents at 0 and -45 degrees, allows free movement between -45 and +45 degrees, as well as free movement up to +47 to -47 degrees.
- Its blade allows 6-5/8-inch crown molding cut and a vertical cut up to 4-3/4” by 3/4”.
It comes with an angle transfer device which automatically sets the bevel angle without having to move the material. The dual laser feature helps with the accurate cuts.
Moreover, its versatile thin-kerf blade is designed to reduce the noise and stress on the motor. Its rail-forward design provides added convenience. Also, its variable speed control motor is an extra feature which provides constant speed even under load.
Despite the fact that it comes with an integrated dust hood and is backed by a 3-year limited warranty with a 30-day money-back guarantee, it is rated 4 out of 5. Customers are satisfied with the dual lasers, slide-forward design, and the added angle finder device, but some of them have expressed concerns over the price being considerably higher than other sliding miter saws.
5. Craftsman 21237 Single Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- ✅ PERFECT FOR YOUR COLLECTION: If you are super-fan of the Miraculous universe movies, then this amazing set of Ladybug action figures and Cat Noir, as a must-have for your collection! This action minifigure represent deluxe miniature replicas of your favourite movie characters. Have fun and enjoy wonderful minifigure toys that will never get old !
- ✅ WHAT'S INSIDE: package includes 6 Miraculous Tikki Noir Cat Plagg Adrien Action Figures Toy Kit. The cartoon toppers includes all of your favourite Miraculous Ladybug character, as Marinette, Kwamis, Adrien. This stand figure has a super cool look, that makes action toy-figures very original and real for kids and adults.
- ✅ HIGH QUALITY: The superhero cake topper is made with durable Top quality non-toxic plastic material. Totally environmental 100% child-friendly and safe to play with. It has vivid colors as white, red, blue, black that won’t wear off !
- ✅ PARTY MUST-HAVE: One of the best parts about this Miraculous Ladybug figure is that it can be used as cake topper, even party favor, game or décoration for a themed gathering. You can add new incredible figure in small dimension to your kid’s birthday, so it is ideal party favor or gift for an Ladybug themed birthday party !
- ✅ CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: Keeping you satisfied is our Top Priority! We stands 100% behind our products, offering you a Lifetime Warranty or all your money return back !
This miter saw comes with a 10” blade and a standard 5/8” arbor. The 15-amp motor delivers 4,800 rpm and cuts 4×4 dimensional lumber and hardwood quite easily.
- It miters 0-50 degrees on both left and right, and bevels 0-45 degrees to the left only.
- The crosscut capacity at 90 degrees is 20”.
- The miter adjustments include positive stop detents at 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6 and 45 degrees, both left and right.
It can easily cut an 8” board mitered at 45 degrees. The maximum thickness that can be cut with bevel positioned 45 degrees is 1-5/8”. Its only lacking feature as compared to the others is the single bevel action to the left only. However, it falls into the lower price range than that of other sliding compound miter saws.
Considering the price range, the easy-carry handle, the compact body, its lightweight, impressive cutting capabilities and the laser guide, it is rated 4.1 out of 5.
This makes it better than the dual sliding compound miter saws that have ratings from 3.8 to 4.
Dewalt vs. Hitachi vs. Makita vs. Festool vs. Craftsman, which is the best sliding compound miter saw? If you’re a starter, the Hitachi C12RSH2 is good to go with. If you’re a professional, the Dewalt DWS779 can work best for you.