This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from our chosen links.
Air compressors come in various sizes and shapes and are used to convert power into potential energy, stored as compressed air. Choosing one of a variety of methods, they force more and more air into a storage tank, resulting in increased pressure.
Pancake air compressors are the most effective types of compressors at home. They are small in size and lightweight, making storage easier. Furthermore, they are oil-free and come with a belt, needing little to no maintenance.
Following is a detailed pancake air compressor comparison between Porter Cable vs. Bostitch vs. Hitachi vs. DeWalt vs. Campbell Hausfeld.
#1. Porter Cable Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit
- 150 psi max tank pressure of the portable air compressor allows more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
- 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi of the electric air compressor allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- 6 gal Pancake style tank of the PORTER-CABLE air compressor is made for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low Amp 120V motor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- Durable oil-free pump for long life and no maintenance
This is a 150 psi compressor with a 6-gallon tank space, storing more air and has a longer tool runtime. It comes with all the accessories you need to immediately get to work. The package comes with a 13-piece accessory kit.
It is equipped with a durable oil-free pump which needs no maintenance. It has two regulated, factory-installed couplers to support two users easily. Designed with air tool performance in mind, it offers 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi, making for quick recovery time.
With a dimension of 18.3 x 18 x 18 inches and a 35 lbs. weight, this pancake compressor makes for easy portability and storage. It’s not too pocket-friendly, but it does give a lot of bang for your back and you won’t regret spending this much.
The Porter Cable C2002-WK has received mixed reviews with people recommending it but also pointing out that it makes a lot of noise, is heavy and not easy to carry. Some users have also complained that the user’s manual lacks a few instructions. Hence, you would have to weigh the risks of getting the product or else it’d be better to choose from the other products listed below.
#2. Bostitch Pancake Air Compressor
- The portable air compressor has a long-life oil-free, maintenance-free pump for convenient use
- 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM* delivered @ 90 PSI pump enable long tool run time with quick recovery of the electric air compressor
- BOSTITCH high efficiency motor of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application [14 GA or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA** operational noise level for a quiet work environment
- 29 lb. weight makes unit easy to carry and store
This is a 150 psi, 22.7-liter (6-gal), oil-free pancake compressor. Its most convenient feature is the 78.5 dBA rating, making it ideal for quiet work environments.
The product weighs 29 lbs., making it easy to carry and store. It has a high-efficiency motor with an easy startup, even in cold weather or with an extension cord.
The Bostitch compressor boasts a long life in case you are questioning its durability. Furthermore, it comes with an oil-free and maintenance-free pump, making it convenient to use. It has two universal couplers, easily supporting two users at the same time.
The Bostitch BTFP02012 has a 17” x 17” x 19.2” dimension, making it much smaller than the Porter Cable. It is rated by customers 4.3 stars out of 5.
Although it has a lower horsepower than most of the products of this type (0.8 compared to others’ 1-1.5), the compressor is assured to reach its maximum psi of 150 in just 3-4 minutes. It also has a 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi, offering a quick recovery time.
Overall, it has been highly recommended by users, although some customers are more satisfied with other products listed below.
#3. Hitachi Pancake Air Compressor Combo Kit
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Kit includes the popular NT50AE2 2" 18-Gauge Brad Nailer that is lightweight and well-balanced for easy maneuverability
- Kit includes the EC710S 6-Gallon Oil-Free Pancake Compressor that delivers reliable and rugged performance and can operate multiple nailers depending on the application
- Kit includes a lightweight 25' x 1/4" Hybrid Air Hose that includes industrial fittings, is spiral reinforced for durability, features heavy-duty bend restrictors and remains flexible in extreme cold temperatures
- Kit also includes safety glasses and pneumatic tool lubricant
The Hitachi KNT50AB is a finish combo kit, consisting of a 6-gal compressor, 18-gauge brad nailer and an air hose. It has a 6-gallon pancake type tank and 150 psi working maximum pressure, making for long run time.
Its main feature that makes it different from other products is the NT50AE2 2″ 18-gauge brad nailer, which is lightweight and well-balanced for easy maneuverability. It has a 2.8 CFM delivered at 90 psi for the purpose of operating multiple nailers, depending on its applicability.
What you’d be happy to know about is the 25’ x ¼” hybrid air hose, which includes industrial fittings. It is spirally reinforced to be durable and features heavy-duty bend restrictors, remaining flexible even in extremely cold weather.
The product weighs 47 pounds and has a dimension of 17 x 18 x 22 inches. It has been rated as easy to use and quieter than other popular products such as Bostitch. The product has made Hitachi fans as well as first-time customers very happy.
Many customers recommend buying this compressor if you have the means to spring for it.
#4. DeWalt Pancake Air Compressor
- 165 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank (22.7 L) and 2.6 SCFM delivered @ 90 PSI pump, enable long tool run time with quick recovery for the portable air compressor
- High efficiency motor of the electric air compressor is made for easy start up in cold weather or extension cord application. [14 ga or larger, 50 ft. (15.2 m) or less]
- 78.5 dBA noise level of the 6 gallon air compressor is made for a quiet work environment
- High flow regulator and couplers of DEWALT portable air compressor are designed to maximize air tool performance
- Long life oil free pump for maintenance free operation
This DeWalt heavy-duty pancake compressor is ideal for supporting a variety of pneumatic and air tool applications. It has an added cord wrap, providing convenience while storing it in the garage or the workplace.
The compressor has a maximum of 165 psi and comes with a 6-gallon tank. It features 2.6 SCFM delivered at 90 psi and 3.7 SCFM delivered at 40 psi. It has 2 universal couplers, supporting 2 users at once, and a weight of about 30 lbs., making it easy to carry and store. Product dimension is 17.2 x 16.6 x 20.1 inches.
The most unique feature of this compressor is the 75.5 dBA noise level, convenient for a quiet work environment. The product can be good for a day-to-day job, although it’s recommended to read the instructions before you fire it up.
Many users express it to be better than the Bostitch and Porter Cable products described above, whereas others are disappointed with its failures. It is rated the lowest of all the compressors on this list, but the rating itself is still satisfactory with 4 out of 5 stars.
#5. Campbell Hausfeld Pancake Air Compressor
- Greatly reduced noise: 68 decibel rating allows the user to run compressor in home environments
- Max 125 PSI
- Oil-free, maintenance free pump
- The conveniently placed gauges and regulator allow for easy monitoring of tank and line pressure
- 6 Gallon Tank
The Campbell Hausfeld DC060500 is designed to be among the quietest air compressors so it can be easily used even in noise-sensitive areas. It’s up to 50% quieter than the rest of the compressors at 68 dBA.
This air compressor also boasts 4 times the life provided by all the other pancake compressors and an oil- and maintenance-free dual piston pump. You can also bundle this air compressor with the Campbell Hausfeld paint sprayer (DH650001AV), hose (PA117701AV) and impact wrench (TL140200AV) so that you can get started with your projects right away.
With a 6-gallon, 125 psi and 2.4 CFM at 90 psi, it promises quick recovery. It is durable with a soft-grip steel handle and a 62-pound weight, making it easy to carry and move anywhere you want.
The product dimension is 16 x 23 x 16 inches and is comparatively easy on the pockets. Customers rate the product at 4.2 stars out of 5 while expressing their pleasure on its silence. If you are worried about noise problems, this is definitely your answer.
With all these pancake air compressors reviewed with as many details as possible, you can figure out on your own what would be more suitable for your situation. This can get confusing given most of these products have similar psi rates and recovery time, but it is important to look at the other features as well. Moreover, the way you follow the instructions and use the product matters a lot.
Overall, in the comparison for Porter Cable vs. Bostitch vs. Hitachi vs. DeWalt vs. Campbell Hausfeld, you need to choose a product according to your needs rather than the compressor’s popularity or lack thereof; popularity does provide authenticity, but it doesn’t necessarily guarantee quality.