Dewalt vs. Black Decker vs. Greenworks vs. EGO vs. Makita Cordless String Trimmer
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from our chosen links.
If you are looking for a convenient unit that will serve for different tasks to help keep your lawn looking professionally done, this cordless string trimmer comparison will help provide insight on some of the leading products available.
The best portable trimmer should have a great grip, produce as little noise as possible and require minimal maintenance. You may also consider its construction and material since this could help determine its longevity.
This comparison looks into Dewalt vs. Black Decker vs. Greenworks vs. EGO vs. Makita string trimmer to help you find the most suitable one for your lawn. It could help make your landscaping more enjoyable, and improve the finish on your lawn.
1. Dewalt DCST990H1 40V MAX Lithium Ion XR String Trimmer
- The edger/trimmer provides 15-inch cutting swath with 0.080-inch line (also accepts 0.095-inch line)
- The cordless grass trimmer has 6.0Ah premium high capacity battery (50% more run time than the 4.0Ah DCB404)
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the lawn trimmer maximizes run time and motor life
- Patented gear drive design that powers through overgrowth
- Variable trigger with hi/lo speed control for added power or extended runtime
The Dewalt cordless string trimmer features a 40V MAX 6.0 Ah lithium-ion battery which guarantees a great performance, even on heavy duty work. It also includes a fast charger, which reduces the maintenance workload. It has heavily protected components, with parts such as the gears housed in a metal gear case to reduce the likelihood of damage.
The model will guarantee zero emissions, which includes noise. It is stealthy and allows you to work on your lawn at any convenient time. It also features an intensity trigger, as well as a multiple speed setting, which allows you to trim different patches of your lawn efficiently and reduce unnecessary power consumption.
The larger cutting swath allows you to work on bigger surfaces in less time, as well as handle heavy duty work. It also has a padded handle, which increases the level of comfort when using this unit.
You need to be careful when handling the plastic cord since it can break easily when it is too tense. However, due to the quality of the materials and great build, you will only need minimal maintenance to ensure the model lasts for a long time.
- Features gear drive, with the gear housed in a durable metal gear case
- Includes a trigger to control the intensity
- Can be silent
- Powerful Li-ion battery
- Includes charger
- Padded handle for greater comfort
- Larger cutting swath
- The plastic cord may break easily under pressure
2. Black Decker LSTE523 String Trimmer
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Line diameter 0.065 inch
- Power drive transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18
- Easy feed allows you to advance your line with the push of a button with no bumping required
- Part of the 20 Volt MAX System; 1 system endless tasks. Power for your style
This model features EASYFEED technology, which ensures you can advance in a straight line without breaking your momentum or experiencing bumps. It can be used for a variety of functions, which makes it ideal for multiple jobs on your lawn. The unit is also easy to store and only takes up a small amount of space.
The high battery power is an attractive feature. It will guarantee great performance on heavy-duty lawns and will work well even when the turf is wet. It also has a dual speed setting which allows you to manage your battery for longer running times or powerful performance, depending on the needs of different parts of your lawn.
The unit is very durable and includes a sufficient warranty. You can also get in touch with the customer service department quickly in the event that anything goes wrong.
It does not have the largest swath of the listed models and may require more work when trimming your grass.
- Convertible for multiple uses
- EASYFEED makes it easier to advance your line
- 2-speed control allows you to choose between power and longer running times
- Powerful battery
- Great customer support
- Smaller cutting swath
3. Greenworks 21362 40V Cordless String Trimmer
- Attachment capable, accepts most gas attachments to provide mulitple use
- Brushless motor delivers greater torque, quieter operation and higher battery efficiency
- Starts within seconds with gas comparable performance, battery compatible with multiple tools
- Battery and Charger include. Compatible with battery models 29462 and 29472 and charger 29482
- Compatible GreenWorks Replacement bulk string, Model 2906302
This emission-free model is silent and clean. It will make your landscaping experience enjoyable because it offers convenience as well. The Greenworks 21362 includes a padded handle for easier maneuverability, as well as a startup dial. It is compatible with different attachments, which means you can use it for different tasks on your lawn.
This string trimmer combines convenience with performance with its powerful battery. It will guarantee longer running times, as well as a great performance because it has one of the largest cutting swaths for a cordless trimmer. It also features an onboard battery level display, which will help you manage your charging for longer battery life.
Some owners have found the model’s manual difficult to understand, which may affect your ability to set it up. You can overcome this by contacting customer support for guidelines on how to set up your trimmer or look through a number of video tutorials on the internet.
- Large cutting swath
- Compatible with multiple attachments
- Includes battery and charger
- Easy to start
- Onboard battery indicator for better battery management
- Long run times
- Silent and fume-free
- Manual might be difficult to understand
4. EGO Power ST1501-S 56V Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer
- Dual-feed twist line with 0.095 in. diameter
- Hi-efficiency brushless motor with variable speed
- Weather-resistant construction
- Variable speed trigger
- Extended aluminum shaft with in-line grip
The EGO ST1501-S is both powerful and efficient. It works well with different speeds, which will provide you with an efficient performance over any type of turf. It also includes a speed trigger, helping users shift their trimmer speeds over different parts of the lawn, depending on the required level of effort.
Aside from the comfortable padded handle, it also includes an in-line grip to ensure better handling even when turning. It has a large cutting swath, which will reduce the total time taken when landscaping your lawn. It is very easy to set up and includes a detailed manual to help out with the process.
The model is made with great quality materials and features an ergonomic design. It has a long warranty, which protects you in case of damage. The string can be prone to breaking when mishandled or exposed to tension but can be easily replaced. The brand provides great customer service, which includes a customer helpline for any problems with your model.
- Efficient motor offers variable speeds
- A speed trigger allows convenient shifts over patches with different profiles
- in-line grip for better handling
- Durable and corrosion resistant
- Larger cutting swath
- Long term warranty
- The string can break under some pressure
5. Makita XRU09PT 36V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
- Makita-built Outer Rotor BL Brushless Motor direct-drive system provides high power and increased torque
- Variable speed trigger for power control
- 2-speed options (Low: 5,000 RPM, High: 6,500 RPM) allow the operator to match the speed to the application
- Equipped with bump and feed trimmer head loaded with 0.080" twisted quiet line
- Reverse rotation function allows operator to quickly clear trimmer head of entangled grass and weeds
The XRU09PT’s 36V 5.0 Ah lithium-ion battery is powerful and will run longer than a number of other brands. It also manages this battery power efficiently, which allows users longer running times for better landscaping. You can also charge this battery quickly, which allows for better maintenance.
The great build and high-quality materials make it very appealing. It is well designed, with the components protected by the brand’s patented protection technology. It will work well in extreme conditions and will last longer because it is sturdy and of high quality.
This model features a comfortable grip handle, which ensures you enjoy your trimming experience. You should be careful when trimming your lawn not to jam the string. The unit is easy to use and this should not be a problem.
- Powerful Li-ion battery
- Durable construction and great quality materials
- Fast charging battery
- Efficient battery use for longer run times
- Protected against harsh weather by Makita Extreme Protection Technology
- The string can jam easily
The cordless string trimmer details out some of the top products available, which should make your search for the best tool much easier. Between Dewalt vs. Black Decker vs. Greenworks vs. EGO vs. Makita string trimmer, I like the Dewalt DCST990H1 because it combines power with efficiency, as well as using high-quality materials for longer life.
It also has a padded handle for comfort when trimming your lawn, making it ideal for all sizes. The model also features a large cutting swath, which will help cut down your landscaping workload. It allows attachments, which makes it a convenient unit.