This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from our chosen links.
Cordless rotary tools are used for carving, cutting, grinding, sanding, and the like. There is a lot of variables that one needs to consider while buying a rotary tool. So to help you out, we are going to a comparison review of Dremel vs. Tacklife vs. Masterworks. vs Hitachi vs. Milwaukee face-off and see what they all have to offer.
1. Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool
- Compact, portable, & powerful: 12V Lithium-Ion battery provides maximum performance and run time at all speeds (5,000-30,000 RPM).
- Versatile rotary tool kit: Includes 8220 cordless rotary tool, 1 attachment, 28 high-quality Dremel accessories, charger, plastic storage case, and accessory case.
- Quick accessory changes – Patented EZ twist nose cap makes accessory changes fast and easy without the need of a wrench
- Removable Li-ion battery: Always ready with no memory effects. Charges in one-hour.
- Slim & ergonomic body – 360-degree grip zone & lightweight design allows you to work comfortable in tight spaces.
The Dremel 8220-1/28 is one of the most versatile and powerful cutting tools of its kind. How powerful you ask? Well, let us just say that it is capable of fully replacing your corded rotary tools. It comes with a variety of accessories and attachments hence making it a very versatile tool.
- Operates at 12 volts with an rpm range of 5000 to 33000.
- Lithium-ion batteries that last for a long time.
- Speed can be adjusted as per your needs using speed control.
- Battery indicator to show how much battery life is left.
- EZ Twist™ nose cap and a wrench that allows for fast accessory change.
- The grip on this tool is pretty good and is very lightweight.
- Comes with an attached hook so that it can easily be hanged anywhere after use.
- There might be excess noise and vibration at higher rpm ranges though, so try not to overburden it.
Conclusion: This is one of the best cordless rotary tools you can find on the market to replace your corded ones with. It is suitable for most tasks and not many can match its overall performance.
2. Tacklife PCG01B Cordless Rotary Tool
The Tacklife PCG01B is for light-duty use, finishing work, detail work, polishing and the like. People who are looking to replacement their full-sized corded rotary tool with something smaller and more dexterous will find this tool very useful.
- Three fixed speeds: 5000, 10000 and 15000 rpm, a keyless chuck and charges via a micro-USB cable.
- Fairly ergonomic shape that makes it easier to handle than its peers.
- Its shape and the fact that it’s cordless allows for more freedom of movement.
- Lightweight and small, allowing you to hold it like a pencil and do good detail work.
- Its biggest drawback is that it is 2.3 millimeter so there will be a lack of compatibility with accessories.
- 1/8 is the more common size among rotary tools.
Conclusion: If you’re looking for a good beginner-level tool but have a limited budget, this is one of the best options available. You can also use it to do much finer work than the larger tools.
3. Masterworks MW324 Cordless Rotary Tool
- Powerful Motor & 5 Variable Speeds - Built in 8V battery, this handheld rotary tool can generate strong and steady power to accomplish most DIY crafting jobs and dog nails trimming. Variable speeds ranging from 5,000 to 25,000 RPM allow you to adjust the rotation speed for your needs. NOTE: please use 5,000-15,000 speeding setting for dog nail grinding, DON’T use 20,000-25,000 speeding setting for that.
- Rechargeable & Convenient to Use - It’s a wireless rotary tool with 2.0 Ah battery and a charger. Long lasting battery life and no AC plugged in any more. Battery charging light can reminds you of quick fully-charged within 3-4 hours. Spindle lock allows easy and quick change of rotary bits.
- LED Lights & Soft Noise - 4 front LED lights around the rotary bits is a real plus for this battery powered rotary tool to illuminate your projects in low light situation, especially helpful for lighting up dog nails. Low noise is also a considering feature for dog groomers when doing dog nail grinding, no worry about scaring dogs any more.
- Ergonomic & Portable - Designed with anti-slip rubber-covered handle, this battery operated rotary tool provides a comfortable grip for better control. Compact and lightweight body makes it easy to handle delicate tasks and finer works, less fatigue than using flex shaft rotary tool. Zippered storage bag included for easy carrying anywhere.
- Versatile 60 Pieces Rotary Tool Accessories - This small rotary tool comes with 60 pieces accessories stored in a plastic case, useful for home projects or crafting jobs, such as grinding, cutting, sanding, carving, polishing, drilling and more.
The Masterworks MW324 is best used as a handyman tool around the house or in the shop. Its small size allows you to hold it like a pen and do detail work very efficiently. Even though its small in size, the motor on this tool is quite powerful.
- LED torch-light to work in low-light situations.
- 5-speed push button system that allows for adjustment of speed according to your needs.
- 8V lithium-ion battery that lasts a long time and charges with a micro-USB cable.
- Has a solid feel about it and a good grip in your hands.
- Runs very smoothly when compared to other similar products.
- No toolbox is provided with a purchase but an accessories box does come with it.
Conclusion: If you are on a budget and are looking for smaller rotary tools to do detail work, then this tool will do the job for you.
4. Hitachi GP10DL Cordless Rotary Tool
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT; Same great tools, with only a new name
- Powered by a 1.5 Ah Lithium Ion battery for longer total battery life, lighter weight and a steady level of power throughout the charge
- Variable speed dial allows the user to control the ideal speed from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM
- Compact and lightweight a mere 8 3/16" in length and 1.06 lbs to fit into tight spaces
- Built in LED light for superior visibility even in the darkest workspace
The Hitachi GP10DL is ideal for finishing work and precision grinding projects. It gives you everything you need for fast and simple completion of your work. The comfort and simplicity that this tool provides are seldom matched by its peers.
- Delivers a maximum speed of up to 35000 rpm.
- Speed can be controlled via the variable speed dial.
- Has a 1.5Ah lithium-ion battery that delivers fade-free power.
- Very lightweight and has three times the total battery life of a traditional rotary tool.
- Low-battery indicator conveniently warns you when the battery is getting low.
- When you have to recharge, it only takes 40 minutes, so you can be more productive and reduce your downtime.
- Is extremely lightweight and compact with a measurement of 8-3/16″ in length and 1.06 pounds in weight. This way you can easily work with it all day long. Its anti-vibration system allows for the comfort of control.
- Built-in white LED light is incorporated for superior visibility in dark or small workplaces.
- When you put it to severe tests, it does not perform that well.
- Is not as powerful as its other rivals and the motor can breakdown at high speeds under heavy loads.
Conclusion: For all your light and simple work, it is a great product but be careful with it and do not use it for heavier works.
5. Milwaukee 2460-21 Cordless Rotary Tool
- Powerful 12-volt Motor Unmatched performance under load
- 1/8 inch Collet compatible with all current rotary tool accessories
- Variable speed (5,000-32,000) Up to 10-percent faster than the competition
- Compact and lightweight, 9.5 inches long and 1.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 13.4 in L x 9 in. W x 4 in. H
The Milwaukee 2460-21 has exciting features and is quite powerful. It is a professional-grade tool that comes at a great price. This is one of the best cordless rotary tools out there in terms of ergonomics, performance, and power.
- Comes with a 12V charger that powers its lithium-ion battery.
- Maximum speed can go up to 32000 rpm.
- Variable speed dial that allows you to control the speed as per your requirements.
- Indentations in the dial make it very easy to turn.
- Has a nice and solid grip.
- Most rotary tools will jar or torque out on you a little bit, but this one won’t. It runs smoothly and does not vibrate a lot.
- Comes with a wrench. All 1/8-inch collets are compatible, as are most rotary tool accessories.
- There is no fade-out and it runs in cold weather without a hitch.
- Will be sufficient for most jobs but might not be able to do the heavy cutting.
Conclusion: If you are looking for a long-lasting powerful too that will easily do most jobs for you then this tool is guaranteed to make you satisfied.
Finding the right cordless rotary tool for your needs is not easy and you will have to do a lot of homework on it. Generally, you would want your tool to have safety features, like low-profile head design, easy-to-use trigger switches and LED lights. It should be at a weight with which you feel comfortable. The rate of battery drainage and recharge time should be good. And lastly, the price should be within your range.
Dremel vs. Tacklife vs. Masterworks vs. Hitachi vs. Milwaukee, which is better? Our recommended is Dremel 8220-1/28 and Tacklife PCG01B. These cordless rotary tools are great for most tasks.