This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from our chosen links.
A cordless hammer drill is an essential power tool for Do-it-yourself experts and seasoned professionals to finish any tough tasks. If you are on the lookout to buy a cordless hammer drill, here are our comparison review of Dewalt vs. Bosch vs. Makita vs. Milwaukee vs. Ryobi. We explain each product with detailed reviews, pros, and cons.
Cordless Hammer Drill Comparison
1. Dewalt DCD996B 20V MAX XR Brushless Hammer Drill
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- The cordless hammer drill features heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
The Dewalt DCD996B is a perfect choice if you are looking for a powerful brushless tool that can help you finish your work quickly. You can use this hammer drill from light DIY household tasks to drilling through tough materials at your job site. The high efficiency of the brushless motor helps you to drill holes quickly in hard materials like concrete or metal with ease. It has 3-mode LED lights to light up your workplace, and a side handles to help you drill with a better grip and control.
- The high-efficient motor that supplies 820 Units Watts Out (UWO) for a faster application speed.
- Has a 3-speed motor feature.
- Gives you up to 38,250 blows per minute and 2,250 rotations per minute.
- Features a 3-mode LED work lights.
- Compatible with 20V Lithium-Ion batteries.
- Includes a 360-degree well- balanced side handle.
- Comes with a belt hook.
- Comes with a durable nitro-carbonized chuck.
- Does not come with a battery and charger.
- Noise level can be loud.
2. Bosch HDH181XB 18V Hammer Drill
- Active Response Technology - superior control in bind-up situations
- Heavy duty construction - built tough with Bosch exclusive Durashield housing and all metal gearbox to withstand rugged jobsite conditions
- Maximum power - 750 In. lbs. of torque powered by a 4-pole motor
- Advanced electronics - individually customized electronics protect the motor and battery increasing tool and battery life
- Flexible power system - compatible with all Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion batteries
If you are looking for a safe power drill that can withstand untoward torque reactions, the Bosch HDH181XB is what you need to perform your DIY drilling tasks. This hammer drill is specially built with an innovative design like the Active Response Technology that helps you to have better control in bind up situations. It is built with Bosch Durashield housing that helps to automatically shut the tool down and prevent dangerous torque conditions at your construction site.
The Bosch HDH181XB has a 4-pole motor that provides 752 In. /lbs of torque, making it powerful for drilling a broad range of high torque bits. It also features an advanced electronic motor and cell protection that helps prevent overheating and overloading. It has an LED light which comes in handy when you have to work in low light situations.
- Active Response Technology for better control.
- Bosch Exclusive Durashield housing.
- All- metal gearbox to prevent rugged job site conditions.
- 750 In. Lbs of torque powered by a four pole motor.
- Innovated electronic motor and cell protection.
- Compatible with any Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion batteries.
- Comes with an all-metal box for easier portability.
- Built-in LED lights.
- Comes with an auxiliary handle and screwdriver bits.
- Two gear options with speeds ranging from 0 to 440 rotations per minute and 0 to 1850 rotations per minute.
- Battery and charger not included.
3. Makita XPH12T 18V LXT Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill
- Variable 2-speed design (0-500 & 0-2, 000 RPM) (0-7, 500 & 0-30, 000 BPM) covers a wide range of drilling, driving and hammer applications
- BL Brushless motor delivers 530 in.Lbs. Of max torque
- Efficient BL Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- The BL Brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- The electronically-controlled BL Brushless motor efficiently uses energy to match torque and RPM to the changing demands of the application.All metal gear housing for increased job site durability
Whether you are a DIY expert working on your furniture and other house maintenance projects or a professional doing heavy duty tasks, Makita XPH12T is the ideal hammer drill to go to. This hammer drill is popular with DIY users and professionals and is known as a highly efficient 18V drills found in the market.
It provides 530 In.lbs of maximum torques and provides efficient power for drilling and boring in materials like wood, concrete, and metal. It is engineered as a workhorse tool in harsh and demanding job site conditions.
This drill has a Makita’s exclusive brushless motor that runs for a longer time, faster speed and efficient power, and extended tool life. Makita XPH12T is also powered by Makita exclusive Star Protection battery that prevents over discharging, overloading and overheating which helps in optimizing battery life.
- Has full 530 In. Lbs torques.
- Equipped with a Makita’s exclusive brushless motor.
- Works efficiently in wood, metal, and concrete.
- Engineered as a workhouse tool.
- Powered by Makita exclusive Star Protection battery.
- Two-speed transmissions options varying from 0-500 and 0-2,000 rotations per minute.
- Built-in LED
- It can be too heavy to perform a small task.
- Battery drains faster from continuous high powered use.
4. Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL Hammer Drill
- POWERSTATE Brushless Motor delivers 1,200 in-lbs of Peak Torque and up to 2,000 RPM for Faster Drilling Speeds
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence prevents damage to the tool and battery due to overloading or overheating
- REDLITHIUM Batteries deliver more work per charge and more work over the life of the battery
The Milwaukee 2704-20 is your best choice if you are looking for a hammer drill that is light and powerful. It is light and compact but highly efficient in power which makes it suitable to complete your DIY drilling tasks.
The Milwaukee hammer drill runs on Brushless Motor Technology by acting as a powerful tool to supply 1,200 In. Lbs of torques and up to 2,000 rotations per minute and complete your drilling quickly and efficiently.
This efficient hammer drill offers Red LinkPlus Intelligence which protects your power tool from any damage. The innovative tool effectively protects the tool and its battery from over discharging or overloading. Milwaukee promotes its exclusive M18 RedLithium XCS.0 battery for this tool ensuring that the hammer drill can work for a longer period of time.
- Delivers 1,200 In. Lbs. of torque speed,
- Built with Brushless Motor Technology.
- Features a two-speed option of 0-550 and 0-2,000 rotations per minute for quicker drillings.
- Built with RedLink Plus Intelligence.
- Comes with RedLithium batteries.
- Comes with a Belt clip holder.
- Compact at only 7.75 inches long.
- Covered by five years limited warranty.
- Limited speed settings.
- Low chuck performance.
5. Ryobi P214 18V Lithium Ion Cordless Hammer Drill
- 3 DRIVING MODES: The P214 allows you to switch between 3 modes, one for screwdriving, one for standard drilling, and one for hammer drilling. No need to constantly adjust torque when there’s an easy-access switch on the top
- 2 SPEED GEARBOX allows you to affect dramatic rate of rotation changes for working between delicate and difficult jobs
- LED LIGHTING located at the base of the tool, shining up to illuminate your job without casting distracting shadows over your fasteners
- 2 P107 BATTERIES: These are two compact 1.5 Amp Hour batteries that are designed to last long with you through difficult jobs that require a smaller fuel cell. This keeps your cuts or drives accurate while decreasing fatigue in your arms
- P117 CHARGER: This can charge some batteries in as little as 30 minutes, like the P102, and larger batteries like the P107 in under an hour. An onboard battery reader gives you status updates on your batteries, telling you when they’re charged, or even if they’re defective
You can complete your DIY tasks and other masonry jobs around the home or outside easily with the Ryobi P214. Built with optimal comfort and useful features, you will be a professional with Ryobi’s hammer drill.
The Ryobi P214 has 600 in. lbs of torque and 24,000 blows per minute. The brush motor has efficient power to bore through concrete and bricks. It features a 24- position clutch and 2-speed gearbox to suit any of your DIY projects. You can also adjust the drill speeds to drill through materials like wood, plastic, and metal.
The drill features an onboard magnetic tray to keep bits and screws within your reach so you save time going back and forth in between works. The rubber handle makes it easier for you to have a better grip on the tool. This tool operates on Lithium Ion One+ and is compatible with any Ryobi tools. It has an in-built LED lights to drill even in low lit areas.
- Built-in magnetic tray.
- LED lights.
- A dual speed of torque at 600 In. Lbs and up to 24,000 blows per minute.
- Adjustable chuck and 2- speed gearbox.
- Lower torque performance.
We have compared and reviewed these five best cordless hammer drills in detail and we recommend you to buy one that suits you best for your upcoming DIY projects or construction works. These five drills provide optimal performance and include all the essential features you need. Each of these drills is worth your money.
The Makita XPH12T drill stands at the top of our choices. If you need a drill that can power efficiently for a long period, we recommend you go for this.
Ryobi P214 drill is our Budget pick. The Milwaukee 2704-20 is durable and the high-efficiency brushless motor in Dewalt DCD996B will complete your tasks quickly. If you value safety, go for Bosch HDH181XB