Lighter, quieter, fumeless, and user-friendly, cordless chainsaws are here to stay. Though they may not be as powerful as corded or gas-powered chainsaws, their benefits are undeniable. Both homeowners, as well as professionals, can find any cordless chainsaw suitable for them.
From all types of yard works to construction works, cordless chainsaws are a versatile piece of the modern power tool. They are light and easy to maneuver and do not result in any fatigue even after cutting for long sessions.
This article will review and compare the following cordless chainsaws – Greenworks vs. Dewalt vs. Black Decker vs. EGO vs. Makita. Each has its own specialties and orientation towards different types of users.
1. Greenworks 20312 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Our Greenworks brushless motor provides your Greenworks tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Compatible with Greenworks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from; Run TimeUp to 90 Cuts
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; Oil Tank : Translucent
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. 1 battery powers more than 25 tools. Battery Capacity-2Ah
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety. Electronic chain brake prevents from accidental kick-backs.Saw Pitch:0.375 inches
With a 4.0 amp hours and 40V battery, the Greenworks 20312 chainsaw brings with it power and convenience. The chainsaw’s brushless motor significantly reduces vibration and extends the durability of the machine by minimizing and postponing internal wear and tears.
Possessing all important modern features of a cordless chainsaw such as tool-free chain tension control, automatic oiler, electronic chain brake, easy start button, and low kickback chain, this chainsaw can deliver up to 150 cuts on a single charge of battery.
The lithium-ion batteries also provide one to two hours of controlled performance. What’s better is that the battery can be interchangeably used with any other battery operated Greenworks’ tools, thereby increasing productivity and cutting downtime.
- It is a great chainsaw for yard works.
- It can cut through small trees and branches less than around 10 inches in diameter.
- The DigiPro brushless motor system provides comfort for prolonged use.
- This chainsaw is not meant for cutting big woods and timbers.
- There may be some problems with the tightening screws as it requires tightening after periodic cuts.
2. Dewalt DCCS62 12 Inch 20V MAX XR Brushless Cordless Chainsaw
- Cordless chainsaw comes with low kick back 12-inch bar and chain for construction and outdoor cutting applications
- Compact, lightweight design (just 9 lbs. with battery) of the battery chainsaw for maximum user control
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the battery powered chainsaw maximizes runtime and motor life
- Up to 90 cuts per charge on 4x4 pressure treated wood (using a 20V MAX* 5Ah battery)
- Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob for proper bar clamping force
This chainsaw does not come with the battery, meaning it is a bare tool. It, however, comes with two battery options – 5AH 20V or 9AH 60V which makes the chainsaw quite versatile. The chainsaw operates on a high-efficiency brushless motor which extends run time and motor life.
Automated chain tensioning and bar tightening with automated oiling on this 12-inch low kickback chainsaw ensures quality performance. You can also upgrade the 12 inch Oregon bar and chain to a 14 inch. For safety, this chainsaw has a highly durable plastic chain guard for emergency brakes.
As far as usage is concerned, this chainsaw can be ideally used for a variety of works. It can be used not just for the small branches, trees, and firewood, but also for medium trees with a diameter of 10 inches and for construction works.
- It is one of the lightest chainsaws making it easy to use and maneuver.
- Dual battery option gives the users more flexibility to their requirements.
- The chainsaw’s handles are soft and offer a comfortable grip. This complements its lightweight for optimum use.
- The battery, charger, and oil have to be bought separately which may put-off some interested buyers.
3. Black Decker LCS1240 12 Inch 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw
- 12-INCH CORDLESS ELECTRIC CHAINSAW - 40V MAX*battery-powered chainsaw with extended runtime
- SMOOTH, FAST CUTS - OREGON low-kickback bar and chain for easy and efficient cutting
- TOOL-FREE CHAIN TENSIONING - Quickly and easily adjust chain tension
- ENHANCED SAFETY FEATURES - Front hand guard and lock-off button for increased safety
- 40V MAX* INTERCHANGEABLE BATTERY - Part of the 40V MAX* outdoor system
This chainsaw has a 40V 2.0AH which delivers a strong cut but the operation time is limited to one hour. Due to short battery life, a back-up battery will always be needed if the cutting works will go for more than an hour.
The LCS1240 comes with all important features such as tool-less chain tightening, automated oiler, low-kickback bar and chain, battery life indicator, and oil indicator which makes this chainsaw easy to use and maintain.
With a chain speed of 5m/s, this chainsaw can efficiently cut through lumber or wood up to 8 or 9 inches in diameter. It is, however, more suited for cutting small limbs, branches and firewood. Using the chainsaw beyond its capability will lead to circuit overload and burnout.
- The battery indicator is a nice feature in this chainsaw.
- The handle is fully wrapped making it comfortable to use the chainsaw at different angles.
- For infrequent users, this chainsaw is ideal as it performs fairly well and comes at an affordable price.
- It has relatively short battery life.
- The recharge time of this chainsaw runs to many hours.
- Cutting trees with the thickness of more than 8 inches will take longer.
4. EGO Power CS1400 14-Inch 56V Cordless Chain Saw
- speed: 6800 rpm
- chain kickback brake
- chain tension adjustment
- water resistant construction (ipx4)
- guide bar length: 14 in.
This chainsaw comes as a bare toll without the battery and charger. It has two battery options – 2.0AH or 2.5AH 56V lithium ion. Given the low AH, the chainsaw does not run for long, so it is recommended to have two to three back-ups for a longer cutting session.
Despite the low run time, this chainsaw is powerful. The chainsaw’s 14-inch blade tackles wood with 12-inch thickness at a good chain speed of 6800 RPM. This is complemented by the brushless motor which produces so much power.
Like all other modern cordless chainsaws, this model also has tool-less chain tensioning, automatic oiler, chain brake, and low kickback chain amongst others. The chainsaw is most ideal for removing small trees, trimming branches, and brush removal.
- The battery and charger can be interchanged with other EGO power tools.
- 4.0, 5.0 or 7.5 AH EGO compatible batteries can be used on the chainsaw for ultimate cutting time.
- The chainsaw is built to withstand different weather conditions.
- The oil cap has no tether.
- The chainsaw used up quite a good amount of bar oil.
- It has a low cutting time.
- If used on heavy loads, the chain will constantly keep loosening.
5. Makita XCU02PT 14-Inch 36V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw
- Makita-built motor delivers 1, 650 FPM chain speed for faster cutting
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries (included) deliver power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform
- Low NOISE level at only 87 dba) and zero emissions for operator comfort
- 12" Guide bar for increased capacity
- "Tool-less" Chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance
Powered with two 18V LXT batteries, i.e., 36V in total, and compatible with 2.0, 2.0, 4.0 or 5.0 AH battery, this chainsaw is one of the most suitable tools for professionals. The rapid optimum charger controls temperature, voltage, and current, thereby optimizing battery life.
With a chain speed of 1650 FPM, this tool cuts really fast with low noise. The chainsaw also has an in-built computer control system which prevents over-heating, over-discharging, and overloading of the machine.
The Makita XCU02PT has a 12-inch saw blade which can do anything from clearing brush to limbing to cutting small firewood. One can also use the machine for medium-sized wood cutting within a dimensional limit of the saw blade.
- Its extreme protection technology provides dust, debris, and water resistance
- The handles are soft and easy to grip with ergonomic design.
- It has a large oil tank.
- Battery charge time is short and battery life is long.
- It seems to be built generally for right-hand users, so left-hand users may occasionally find some inconvenience with some buttons like the safety button.
- Since this chainsaw is a bare tool without battery and charger, it might be annoying for the first-time buyer of Makita’s products.
Having gone through the above five cordless chainsaws, one can gauge that not all of them are suitable for everybody. If the works demand a strenuous performance from the cordless chainsaws, Makita XCU02PT, EGO Power CS1400, and Dewalt DCCS620B should be the preferred choice. These three chainsaws are also suitable for professionals.
For occasional works such as yard maintenance, Black Decker LCS1240 and Greenworks 20312 are ideal. They are also budget-friendly, durable and serve as an excellent choice for short duration cuttings. These two chainsaws can also tackle the occasional heavy duty cuttings but they require constant supervision and control.