This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made from our chosen links.
Band saws are intimidating and powerful woodcutting equipment that are often quite expensive but worth possessing one especially for professional woodworkers and DIY-ers.
If you are looking for a versatile and reliable cordless band saw that can be used to cut smooth curves, custom veneer and create your own DIY projects from the log? Look no further because here is a comparison review of the best cordless band saw: Makita vs. Dewalt vs. Milwaukee vs. Bosch vs. Hitachi.
1. Makita XBP02Z 18V LXT Cordless Portable Band Saw
- 4-3/4" Cutting capacity accepts a 44-7/8" Blade and is ideal for cutting multiple metal materials
- Makita-built motor delivers faster cutting with variable speed 275-530 ft./min.
- Protection circuit with built-in alert light provides over-torque motor protection warning for increased durability
- Trigger switch with lock-off feature requires two actions to power on the band saw
- Conveniently located variable speed control dial enables user to match the speed to the application
If you are looking for something that can cut through metal like a hot knife on butter but is equally efficient, durable, portable and safe, the Makita XBP02Z is the right band saw for you!
The Makita 18V LXT Cordless Band saw is a high torque motor and powered by 18v lithium-ion battery which takes very less time to charge. It features 6 different speed control settings with a load speed of 275-530 ft/minute.
This band saw is powerful enough to cut through all types of metals, pipes, channel, and conduit with ease and accuracy. It has an adjustable stopper plate that makes it comfortable to control while protecting the materials and providing support.
It has a built-in LED light that illuminates the target area for better visibility and precision cuts.
If you are worried about the durability, the Makita XBP02Z has a built-in protective rubber bumper for a softer grip that is made to last for years. At only 14.3 lbs and 20-5/8’’ long, it is one of the most compact and light saw in its category.
- The controls are easily located which makes it convenient to change speed during application.
- Very less charging time, long-lasting battery and more working capacity
- Cutting speed of 275-530ft/min will have you sawing through metals in minutes.
- Battery and charger must be bought separately.
- Does not run continuously without the trigger but is probably better for safety measures.
2. Dewalt DCS374 20V MAX Portable Band Saw
- The metal band saw has 5-inch cutting capacity
- 4-inch cut capacity of the portable band saw cuts up to 4-inch SCH 40 pipe and double strut
- Integrated hang hook of DEWALT band saw allows user to hang the saw without damaging the front handle or base
- LED Work Light with 20 second delay illuminates dark work surfaces for accurate cutting.
- Tool less blade changing lever loosens blade tension for easy blade changes
The Dewalt DSC374 is a pound lighter and has better safety controls than the previous one. If you are looking for something straight-forward, versatile and has an excellent cutting capacity on various materials, this is the product for you.
The Dewalt DSC374 has a 5’’ cutting capacity that can be used to saw through iron, pipes, single and double strut, and even through a 4’’ SCH 40 material.
The 20 volts battery powered band saw also has a LED light that illuminates the target area for accurate cutting with 20 seconds delay.
It has a number of dials to change the speed setting in an accessible and convenient position so that there is minimum burring of materials and leaves a smooth surface.
The Dewalt DCS374B also features a trigger lock system that turns off which makes it safer and prevents accidental mismanagements.
It features a built-in hang hook which makes it convenient to hang the saw without the risk of spoiling the base or the front handle.
- Lightweight and compact design for portability
- Easy speed control for accurate cutting
- Multiple industrial settings for cutting various materials
- Leaves no or very fewer burrs
- Blades are easy to change
- Slightly more expensive compared to other products.
3. Milwaukee M12 Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw
- One-Handed Cuts: Most compact size and lightest weight of any cordless band saw; SFPM: 280
- Powerful Motor: Cuts 3/4" EMT in 3 seconds, up to 150 cuts per charge with the XC battery; Blade Length: 27” x ½” x .020"
- 1-5/8" Cut Capacity: For a wide range of applications; LED Light: Highlights the cut line
- Meets OSHA Guarding Requirements: Suitable for One-Handed use; Length: 11 "
- Blade Tension Adjustment: Adjustable blade tracking; Voltage: 12V, Tool Warranty 5 Years
The Milwaukee 2429-21XC is one of the lightest and most compact band saw of its caliber. It is so light that users can use single-handedly with accurate and smooth cuts. It has a powerful motor that can be used to cut through ¾’’ EMT within three seconds.
This cordless band saw can perform at least 150 cuts per charge which makes it highly efficient for long duration use and heavy load.
With a blade length of ½’’ x 27’’ x .020’’, it can easily cut through even a 5/8 uni-strut, 1.25’’ stainless steel rods, althreat, and conduit. The quality of the cuts will be smooth and burr free.
It is really easy and safe to use and to customize your work you can change the blades to different sizes, depending on the cuts you want.
The best thing about this product is that it comes with the blades and the battery which makes it a better choice than the previous two band saws.
- Comes with a hard plastic tool holding case, a charger, extra blades, and two xv12v batteries
- Lightweight and portable
- Single-handed usability
- Variable speed trigger
- 5 years warranty
- Need frequent blade change
- Not very powerful torque so might be a little slow
4. Bosch BSH180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Compact Band Saw
- Best-in-class compact size up to 60-percent lighter than deep cut saws and up to 40-percent more compact
- Integrated LED work light: illuminates the cut line in dark areas
- 2-1/2-inch by 2-1/2-inch cutting capacity
- Ideal for working in tight spaces or overhead cutting
- Battery and charger sold separately
The compact sized Bosch BSH180B is one of the lightest, most reliable portable band saw. It cuts through wood and metal seamlessly and it is over 60% lighter than the previous band saws so you can effortlessly use it to cut overhead.
With a 2-1/2’’ by 2-1/2’’ cutting capacity, it can be used to cut through metal pipes, iron rods, EMT, conduit or other industrial materials.
With its compact design, it is efficient to work within tight spaces and even an area with low light because it features a bright LED light to illuminate the target area.
The Bosch BSH180B has a flexible power system that allows you to switch between a slim pack and a fat pack battery that is sold separately with the unit. It runs on 18 volts and weighs only 8.85 pounds with a package dimension of 6.5 x 9.6 x 15.4 inches.
It comes with 18 TPI blades that can be used for cutting conduit and strut and even through 2-inch pipes.
- Extremely lightweight and portable
- Flexible power source
- Power-packed blades
- Not enough clearance to cut through the 3-inch thickness
- The handle should be removed for easier storage
- Replacement blades are hard to find
5. Hitachi CB18DBLP4 18V Lithium Ion Brushless Band Saw
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Brushless Motor Technology for higher efficiency, increased run time and longer tool lifetime
- 3-1/4" cut capacity cuts materials like conduit pipes, steel pipes, power cables, aluminum window frames and various plastics in electric, plumbing and mechanical work applications
- Variable speed dial that operates from 260 to 640 SFPM and allows for setting the blade speed to suit the work material
- Auto mode: operates from 395 to 640 SFPM and automatically adjusts the blade speed to the work material resulting in noise reduction and less battery consumption
If you are looking for something sturdy and efficient for daily heavy duty, the Hitachi CB18DBLP4 band saw will fit your requirements effortlessly.
The brushless motor technology makes it more durable and power efficient. The variable speed settings from 260 to 640 SFPM makes it useful in cutting various designs and materials with very less effort.
The 3-1/4 inch cutting capacity makes it powerful enough to cut through metal pipes, strut, conduit pipes, power cables and even aluminum frames which makes it perfect for professional industrial use.
The integrated auto-mode allows you to automatically adjust the speed according to the material used which reduces noise and power wastage.
It also has an automatic overheat and overload protection which shuts off the motor for safety and damage.
It runs on powerful lithium-ion slide-type batteries on 54 watts and 18 volts and comes with extra blades, hex bar wrench and side handle.
At just 6.5 pounds in weight without the battery, the Hitachi CB18DBLP4 is one of the most portables and lightweight band saw in the options.
- Auto motor off when there is an overheat or overload.
- Auto adjustable blade speed for noise reduction
- Lightweight and portable
- Heavy duty blades and high cutting capacity
- Durable frames and blade
- Blades are hard to replace
- The product comes without a battery
Comparing these band saws in their cutting capabilities, frame, blade guides, power and frame style will give you a clearer perspective of the product that is most efficient.
In this comparison of Makita vs. Dewalt vs. Milwaukee vs. Bosch vs. Hitachi, the winner for you can be anyone depending on your cutting preference, budget, availability of replaceable parts and versatility of the projects you would use the tools for.